Enhancing Mediterranean Governance
The Mediterranean region is one of the most heterogeneous cooperation areas in Europe. Geographical, socio-economic and political contexts can vary significantly from one region to another. The identification of shared policy approaches and strategic initiatives in key sectors is therefore challenging. The Axis 4 will support the relevant public authorities and stakeholders define a transnational governance joint framework and vision for the identification and implementation of shared approaches, policies and strategic projects on set themes.
For this purpose, the Axis 4 envisages the design and implementation of a multi-level permanent dialogue and decision making process – a “Platform” – of national and regional authorities, involving relevant stakeholders, programmes, organisations and networks acting in the Mediterranean.
This innovative tool will allow the Programme to actively contribute to all pertinent initiatives tackling the challenging “governance exercise” in the Mediterranean.
The “Platform” will exploit the most relevant Interreg MED project results previously analysed and synthetized by the Programme’s thematic communities.
This evidence-based approach will thus enhance the thematic results produced by the projects at a transnational level and beyond the Interreg MED Programme area.
What results does the Programme target?
- Reinforced transnational dialogue
- Sounder assessment of needs/gaps and potentialities of the Mediterranean
- Contribute to common strategic vision and consensus building
- Sustainable strategic initiatives
- Mainstreaming - increased impact of Interreg MED programme funds
- Potential reinforcement of the institutional capacity of public authorities to contribute to social emergencies affecting the area.