Increasing renewable energy sources in energy mix
Mediterranean islands are facing several energy challenges such as dependency, security of supply, interconnection with mainland and increasing demand, among others.
Projects co-financed under this thematic of the Interreg MED Programme shall mainly be directed to support actions that increase the share of renewable local energy sources in energy mix strategies and plans in MED territories. The thematic affects different levels of public authorities, specifically in islands and rural areas.
Types of actions
Strategy building, capacity building, awareness raising, training and changing practices; Feasibility studies and analyses, elaborating policy plans, services and tools; Possibility for small-scale investments and pilot projects.
Key target groups
Public authorities, research structures, enterprises, NGO’s/civil society structures (end user role).
What results does the Programme target for 2014-2020?
- 5 planning tools to develop energy plans including local RES
- 15% of islands population covered by plans
- 5% of Population from rural areas covered by plans
- 5 models to develop action plans including local RES in energy mix
- 192 regions and sub-regions engaged (through charters, protocols, MoU) in increasing share of local RES in energy mix